Friday, July 22, 2011

Weighty Issues

My parents gifted me with a kitchen scale for my birthday in March, and I have finally begun using it in earnest. It was not something that I had on my mind as completely necessary, but I recently found a spot for it to stay out on a ledge in my kitchen, available for use day and night, so I thought I would give it a try.

It is so useful. I never knew how many things that I wished I could have weighed before.

Recipes from abroad with measurements all in grams? Now I can make them! And without any complicated guesswork.

Weighing fruit for baking recipes rather than having to approximate with cups? So easy!

Baking using weights instead of multiple measuring cups? DONE.

It turns out, using a kitchen scale for baking is actually really helpful. Not only is it more accurate, but it is also really simple and can cut down on the number of dishes to clean. I used a small bowl to measure out all of my ingredients separately, dumping them into my mixing bowl as I went. In the end I was left with a few dirty spoons, 2 bowls, 1 baking sheet and 18 golden & deliciously honeyed homemade graham crackers.

Now all I need to work on is my technique. Some of my cookies puffed up, and others stayed very neat and small. (Personally I like the ones that puffed best, even though they weren't supposed to do so).

No comments:

Post a Comment