Monday, July 18, 2011

Mystery Monday: P is for Peanut Butter and Pickles

Today is the debut of my new Mystery Monday series, in which I will share a recipe inspired by the favorite foods of my favorite detectives.

The first comes from Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery novels, in which her single, plucky heroine lives off of a steady diet of fast food, white wine, baked goods from her landlord, and hungarian delicacies from the restaurant down the street. When she does "cook" for herself, though, Kinsey invariably turns to a childhood favorite: peanut butter pickle sandwiches. Being a lover of all things salty, and intrigued by the moans that this sandwich tends to generate in the books, I decided to take the plunge and try it for myself.

This is a recipe best eaten solo. It's a little weird, a tiny bit indulgent, and surprisingly tasty.

Peanut Butter Pickle Sandwich
Serves 1

2 slices of wheat bread
peanut butter
pickles (I used homemade bread and butter pickles)

I toasted the bread, but that is entirely optional. Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread, then arrange a generous layer of pickles on top of the peanut butter. Top with the second piece of bread. Lick the peanut butter knife clean, and preferably use a napkin instead of a plate. A glass of chilled Chardonnay is not required, but is recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment