Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Netarinesicles

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have accumulated a bowl full of nectarines. I ate my way through the majority quickly, stirred into my hot cereal, sliced up as an afternoon snack, and baked into a peach & nectarine cobbler. However, a few lingerers needed a swift and different fate, preservation in the form of nectarine-lime popsicles.

I was very disappointed in my attempt at peach popsicles, which may be one of the reasons I have been shunning them. They were just really hum drum and dull. Not as utterly horrible as the white wine and strawberry popsicles that I made, but definitely nothing to write home about.

So I sold out the peach for nectarines, hoping that their stronger, more assertive flavor would be able to survive the freezing process. I added more zing with a healthy dose of fresh lime juice, and sweetened the deal with as little sugar as I thought I could get away with. I even left the skin on for flavor, color, and antioxidants.

Move over peach-pop, the nectarinesicles are here to stay.

Nectarine Ice Pops
Makes 6 small 1/4 cup capacity popsicles

2 medium nectarines, pitted and roughly chopped (peeling is optional)
3 teaspoons sugar
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lime (to taste)
1/2 cup water

Boil water in a tea kettle. Put the sugar in a teacup and pour 1/2 cup water over it, then stir it until the water dissolves. Alternatively you could make a simple syrup in a small pan on the stove. Pour the sugar water over the nectarines and add the juice of 1/2 a lime. Using an immersion blender, or any other tool you prefer, blend the ingredients until smooth. Taste the mixture and add more lime juice if desired. Pour into the popsicle molds and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment