Saturday, July 23, 2011

Melting

I really like cheese. Salty, tangy, stinky and otherwise. It's expensive (and rich), so I try to eat it in moderation and when I do indulge I try to make it count. That means sharp cheddar, not mild, and fresh ricotta, not store-bought.

Everyday I make a sandwich with cheddar cheese on it. Normally I just toast the bread, but today I melted the cheese too, and I was surprised at what a difference it made. While my normal sandwiches taste wholesome, this version tasted rich and a little bit sinful.

I am always surprised, perhaps because I mostly eat cold sliced cheese, by the difference that melting makes. Obviously it changes the texture and taste of the cheese, but it also invariably changes the way that I perceive the cheese in terms of it's decadence. A crisp slice of cheddar seems like a healthy, judicious snack choice, whereas if it were melted it would definitely fall into the too-rich, too-greasy, bad decision category. Maybe it's because melted cheese is so inextricably linked with unhealthy meals. Cheeseburgers, butter-fried grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos, fondu. Not exactly heart-healthy.

Still, it's surprising how much a temperature change can affect an ingredient, and of course, everything it is used in. I should just appreciate the fact that my sandwich is healthy either way, it's just my perception of it that changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment