Saturday, July 16, 2011

Easier than Pie

I love peaches, but I think I might love nectarines a tiny bit more. While nothing beats a perfectly ripe peach, I don't think I've ever had a really bad nectarine. And when peaches aren't good they can be really bad. I love the bite of nectarines too. Tangy and firm, they are reliably delicious.

I cooked some into a peach cobbler last week and I almost wished I had used all nectarines. Their strong flavor dominated over that of the more delicate peaches. After several disappointing peach hauls, I found myself with a bowl-full of nectarines at home this weekend, so I decided to try something I had seen in The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock. In the book, Scott describes his childhood favorite: sliced sugared peaches in milk. Simple and delicious.

I love recipes that call for so few ingredients. No room for distractions.

Nectarines in Milk
Adapted from Scott Peacock's Peaches in Milk
Serves 2

2 nectarine
1/2 tsp sugar, divided
milk

Slice the nectarine and divide the slices in two small bowls or some pretty cups. Sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of sugar, and pour cold milk over the fruit (not so much that the fruit is covered).
Quickly devour, making up for all the time you didn't spend eating this growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment