Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lime Popsicle to the Rescue

Like anything in life too much of a good thing can eventually leave you a little numb to its specialness, or in this case deliciousness. While I could eat strawberry popsicles, or a number of other exciting flavors, in an endless nightly rotation, I find that punctuating the more unique flavors with what I like to think of as a popsicle palate cleanser helps me to appreciate the showier, more expensive, more time consuming, and more obscure recipes. Lime Popsicle to the rescue!
Lime popsicles are pretty much the easiest, yummiest, thriftiest, most refreshing of popsicles. The great thing about lime pops is that not only do they themselves taste fantastic, but they are even capable of making you realize how great the other flavors of popsicles you have eating previously or subsequently. For example, I started to get a little jaded regarding the deliciousness of my strawberry popsicles after eating them three nights straight, but when I mixed it up and ate a snappy refreshing lime pop I suddenly appreciated the strawberry in ways I had not previously been able to. How had I not realized how smooth and almost creamy it was? Or how densely strawberry-y? But this is not about the strawberry popsicles.

You can't go wrong with lime popsicles. A couple of limes, not too much sugar, and some water and you are set. Now all you need is a beach and a big sun hat.

Lime Popsicle
I started with a recipe from Paletas, but I found that the lime zest used in the original recipe gave the popsicles an overwhelmingly bitter bite. Also, I prefer the flavor of regular large limes over that of the small mexican limes recommended, which I again found to be a little too bitter for my liking. Three batches later and I'm happy with a simplified and perhaps Americanized version.

Makes 6 tiny 1/4 cup capacity popsicles

1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Mix the water and sugar in a small saucepan, and put it over medium heat. Bring the sugar water to a boil and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Mix the freshly squeezed lime juice with the cool sugar water and pour into your popsicle molds.

Go to sleep and hope that it is hot enough in the morning to justify eating a popsicle for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment