Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Heat Wave

Me oh my. We are having a last minute summer's-almost-over-but-not-quite-yet killer heat wave. I've been pretty smug up to now about not having air conditioning. I may even have said something along the lines of "we don't need it." I don't think I went so far as to actually say "people with air conditioning are dumb" but I got pretty close. Well, guess who is the dummy now. That's right, I am.

Which leads me to what I'm cooking, which is, to put it in a word: nothing. Are you kidding? I made a cup of coffee this afternoon and the excess heat from my stove almost made me pass out. I just keep making the same cabbage salad with peanut-ginger dressing over and over.
While I could continue my weather-related lamentations for another couple of paragraphs, I would rather discuss a type of heat that I do like, namely, spicy heat. Nothing is better than fresh homemade jalapeno-laced salsa, a good batch of spicy Indian curry, or some stir fried vegetables and rice spiced up with a spoonful of Thai hot sauce.

In no-cook weather like this, however, there is nothing better than a good burrito doused with the house-specialty salsa from your favorite mexican dive. Hungry and heat-exhausted, we went to my boyfriend's favorite Mexican place from his college days this weekend. For me the best part is almost always the salsa. Much to his skeptical chagrin, I made my boyfriend go back for more. He didn't believe that we each needed two whole containers of salsa each.
I like to think that I taught him a life lesson. Too much salsa is a good thing. Too much heat is not. He'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment