Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Breakfast of a Future Potential Champion

I have a strict breakfast routine. That routine involves change. I have practically the same thing everyday, but with little tweaks (usually in an effort to save time and dishes), until it has eventually evolved into something very different. For instance, I abandoned my deliciously healthy kale smoothies, which were a double whammy of dishes and vegetable prep. I dived right into a canister of steel cut oats, which I love(d). Until the cooking time became unfeasible. Then I transitioned into multigrain oatmeal. Nutty, healthy, and quick cooking, it seemed like a keeper. Buuuut, I hate having to wash a pan after breakfast. Which brings us to this week's oat-based breakfast winner. Personally, I think that it is the best yet. We'll just have to wait and see how long until it takes on a new form.
I was inspired by three things. For starters, I had purchased a four pound container of plain yogurt from Costco. I didn't want to have to work for my breakfast either in the form of cooking or excessive cleaning. Also, I like eating oats for breakfast--what can I say, they stick to my ribs. So I stirred some multigrain oatmeal into some of my plain yogurt, let it sit a while to soften, then, finding the texture to be a little to much like plaster, I added a splash of water, jazzed things up with a spoonful of dried fruit and breakfast accomplished. And a cool, creamy, simple, healthy breakfast at that. (It's a little like muesli, but simplified).

For me it works perfectly. I don't eat breakfast right away, I need time to drink my coffee and maybe even run to the gym. So I just pour myself a cuppa, stir my yo'tmeal up, stick it in the fridge and eat it an hour or two later. Easy. Full of protein and fiber. Minimal dishes. What more could a girl* ask for?
Multigrain Yogurt with Dried Fruit
Serves 1

1/2 cup plain yogurt (not greek!)
1/4 cup multigrain oatmeal
splash of water
Tablespoon of dried fruit

Put your multigrain oatmeal into your breakfast bowl. Moisten it with a splash of water, then stir in the yogurt. If the mixture seems really thick you can add a little more water to loosen things up. Stick the whole thing back in the fridge until you are ready to eat it (about an hour should do it). Take it out, give it a stir, add a little more water if necessary (depending on how thick you like it - I neither take my watery nor pasty.) Top with some dried fruit, or it you have it, some fresh fruit. I especially like dried cranberries. Breakfast accomplished! Now no matter how much you mess during the rest of the day at least you know that you did one thing right.
*Disclaimer: In an attempt at quality control I wanted my boyfriend to taste this (for a second opinion), and he actually winced, sealed his lips, and eventually after much prodding only tasted the smallest tiniest bit off of his spoonful and then said nothing. His excuse: he doesn't like plain yogurt. I'm assuming it's just a boy thing, but if you also share in this aversion to the sour stuff, I would recommend the liberal application of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment