Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Very Good Thing

I keep a recipe scrapbook of all my cuttings from magazines and newspapers. I especially love the pictures that almost always accompany these recipes. Whenever I flip through the pages of my book I am immediately filled with ideas and inspiration.

This week, I came across a recipe I had clipped from Martha Stewart Living, for pasta dressed with plain yogurt and tossed with matchsticks of ham and slivers of fresh raw zucchini. What originally caught my eye was the use of plain yogurt to make a creamy sauce. Not being a fan of ham, I had reservations about trying the recipe verbatim, so I decided to go with what sounded especially interesting and good to me--namely, the yogurt and raw zucchini. I decided to use whole wheat fusilli, and threw in some fresh raw corn and green beans for good measure. Delicious! It's healthy, easy, light yet filling, and tastes fantastic. Perfect for an easy summer dinner. Next time I might even try basil instead of the mint (and there will be a next time).
Fusilli with Zucchini, Corn, Green Beans, Yogurt, and Scallions
Inspired by Martha Stewart Magazine
Serves 2

Whole Wheat Fusilli (two servings' worth)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly into rounds
1 cup green beans, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off of the cob
1/4-1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions or chives
Mint leaves, thinly sliced (to taste)
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta. While the pasta is cooking, wash and slice the vegetables. Toss the cooked, drained pasta with the yogurt and add the chopped vegetables and herbs. Drizzle with the olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment