Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sweet Summer Corn

Corn is one of the very best things about summer. You can get decent tomatoes all year round but corn remains strictly seasonal. However, corn has changed over the years, and the corn of today is significantly sweeter than that which preceded. This has rendered old fashioned cooking methods such as long boiling times in sugar sweetened water unnecessary, for which I am thankful. The best way to enjoy our sweet modern corn is to cook it quickly. Just a dip into boiling water, or a quick roll around the grill and it is ready to be devoured. If you have an especially good batch it doesn't even need that. I have vivid memories of picking corn from our garden when I was little and eating it raw, it was incredibly delicious. I highly recommend giving it a try if you get your hands on some nice fresh sweet corn.
Lately I've been taking full advantage of the inexpensive, easy, healthy, deliciousness of simple grilled corn. (Four for a dollar? Yes please.) I used to give them a light coating of olive oil, but I've stopped doing even that. I just shuck them, rinse them, wipe as many of the hairy fibers off as possible, and toss them on the grill with whatever else is cooking. The one thing that I've learned is that it is much easier to cook them when they are laying parallel with the bars of the grill. It is much easier to cook them evenly when they aren't constantly rolling back to the side that you've just turned them from. They really need to be eaten right away, not because they will taste any less fantastic after a few minutes, but because they will all be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment