Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fro Yo...

It has been hot! hot! hot! Catapulting that cold sweet soothing food-balm known as the "frozen desert" to the category of necessary evil. This week, in an attempt to expand my repertoire (beyond popsicles), I set my sights on Frozen Yogurt. It's healthy right? And it neither requires much work nor many ingredients.

I know. FROZEN YOGURT. There are fro-yo places everywhere in Los Angeles, to a ridiculously absurd extent. Names have been mimicked, repeated, tweaked, colors changed (red, pink), fruits swapped (berries, mangoes), but they seem to be one and the same, indistinguishably alike (in a word, generic). I for one never jumped on the F-Y bandwagon. In fact, I've never even tasted the much ballyhooed fruits of Pinkberry, and while we have gone to a local off-brand joint a couple of times, I'm always dismayed by the distinct overtones of chemicals that underscore their fruity flavors.

So, I decided to make some. It's really easy, and tasty. Actually, I think that's why there are so many chains. Ice cream shop with signature flavors? Big old scoop of double trouble! Frozen yogurt? Easy peasy (and squeezy too).

The great things about (homemade) frozen yogurt are as follows: 1) easy 2) simple 3) tasty with a delicious tanginess 4) you can make it as sweet or not-sweet as you want 5) no chemicals needed 6) pairs well with fresh, ripe, summer fruit, as well as frozen, ripe, summer fruit 7) you can adjust desired fat content 8) pride & boasting rights (with minimal exertion required).
Frozen Yogurt
This recipe is adapted from David Lebovitz

3 cups Greek yogurt (or 6 cups plain yogurt strained to make 3)
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Stir the sugar into the greek yogurt until it dissolves. Add the vanilla. Chill thouroughly. Freeze in ice cream maker.

Enjoy your deliciously cooling desert and the hot-headed feeling of superiority that comes from not getting it from an overpriced strip mall chain fro yo-ery. Next, I will teach you how to cobble your own Ugg boots.

Note: the recipe called for full fat yogurt, which is super rich. Next time I am going to try something a little lighter and see how it works. Also, I like the flavor of plain yogurt so I might cut down on the sugar next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment