Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Fresh Twist


A couple of years ago my parents took my me and my boyfriend to Zuni Cafe in San Francisco for my birthday.  Along with their famous roast chicken, we were all impressed by a whole wheat pasta dish.  It was simple and a little bit homely, but it was really good.  Just a mixture of sauteed radicchio and capers.  Of course, something that simple would be difficult to reproduce, and although I have tried, it has never turned out quite right.  The radicchio transitions swiftly from being crisp and fresh to limp and bitter.  After a mediocre attempt for lunch, I decided to try a little bit of a different approach for dinner.  Instead of a pasta dish, I made the salad equivalent.  Fresh chopped radicchio, a generous sprinkling of briny capers, chunks of creamy mild mozzarella cheese.  Showered with a rosemary and thyme spiked balsamic vinaigrette and success was achieved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment