Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chocoholic


My mom loves chocolate.  So when my parents visited this weekend, I knew I had to rise to the occasion and bake something chocolate-y.  I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day (I usually just make sure to wear green so that I don't get pinched), but the great deal on Guinness at my grocery store was definitely something I could get on board with.  

My decision was made: chocolate Guinness cupcakes.  
I came across this recipe a few years ago at Smittenkitchen.  Originally, it was actually an Irish Car Bomb Cupcake, complete with whisky ganache and baileys frosting.  I made the entire recipe once, but it made me feel like my heart was going to explode (in a bad way).  The plain unadorned cupcakes though?  Perfect.  They are dark and chocolate-y; rich, but not too sweet.  (Plus they are a little less controversial.  The drink may be popular, but actual car bombs are definitely not, and for good reason).   

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes

1 cup Stout (such as Guinness)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream (I used plain yogurt)

Pre-Heat the oven to 350°
Melt the butter mixed with the stout in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer.  Mix in the cocoa powder and remove the mixture from the heat.  While it cools*, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together.  Separately, beat the eggs and sour cream (or yogurt) together until they are well blended.  Add the stout mixture to the egg mixture.  Once they are fully combined, add 
the flour mixture and mix them until they are completely combined.  Spoon the batter into lined cupcake tins, distributing it evenly.  Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool the cupcakes on a rack (or eat them hot out of the oven).
*You don't want the stout mixture to be really hot, or else it will curdle the eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment