Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jelly, Not Jell-o

Growing up, my mother always chose natural foods for our family.  This meant virtually no jell-o.  Because of that, I never formed the nostalgic childhood memories involving jell-o that so many of my peers claim to have.  What I do have, however, is an appreciation for making things from scratch, and using fresh ingredients.  
When I came across this recipe, on one of my favorite blogs, Rachel Eats, I thought that it sounded so refreshing.  I really enjoy baking, but sometimes it makes me feel a little stuffed.  (Unfortunately, there is such a thing as too much butter.)  In a nutshell, this Jelly is a very simple soft-solidification of bright, fresh citrus juice, lightly spiced with cardamom to add a bit of mystery and complexity. 
This recipe is very forgiving.  The original recipe used oranges, lemon, and pomegranate juice, but I had some blood oranges instead of pomegranates, and although I am sure it tasted different, it definitely did not taste wrong.  It tastes almost like a creamier and less chilly sorbet.  Clean, fruity, and refreshing, but without the brain-freeze headache.  
Simply squeeze the juice out of 5-7 large oranges & a lemon, & in my case blood oranges, reserve some thin slices of rind (no pith), mix in some cardamom pods (with seeds), simmer (but not boil), let sit for 15 minutes, stir in gelatin, divide into serving dishes, and chill.
Blood Orange Jelly
5-7 large oranges
2/3 cup caster sugar*
4-5 blood oranges (or 2 pomegranates) 
1 lemon (unwaxed)
6 whole green cardamom pods (lightly smashed/split)
1 Tablespoon of gelatin powder (or 5 sheets of gelatin)

Cut a few strips of lemon zest and orange zest and set aside.  Juice the oranges, blood oranges, and the lemon.  Pour the juice into a stainless steel pan, add the zest, the sugar, and the cardamom pods (including the seeds). 

Bring the mixture to a low simmer, not a boil, then cover the pan, turn the stove off.  After sitting for 15 minutes, mix the gelatin in, making sure to stir it thoroughly to make sure it dissolves completely.  

Divide the mixture into 6-8 glasses and refrigerate for 4-5 hours or overnight.    

*To make caster sugar, just pulse some regular sugar in a coffee grinder until it is finely ground.  It should be somewhere between the fineness of regular sugar, and powdered sugar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment