Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pasta for Spring


For my daily lunch I want to eat something that is healthy, economical, homemade, easy (both to make and clean-up), and tasty.  This dish is all of those things.  A bowl of chopped up not-fancy vegetables, some onions and garlic, a splash of olive oil and a couple of handfuls of pasta.  That's it.  Plus I only use one pan to cook everything.  
These are tough times.  It's as important for us to get our vegetables, as it is to stretch and pinch our pennies.  This is not just a good tasting meal but, I hope, it is also a prudent use of ingredients.  A couple of carrots, part of a head of broccoli, a little bit of pasta.  I didn't use up all of anything, so there can be carrot sticks left over to snack on, broccoli left over for a frittata, quiche, or omelet (obviously, I am hung up on an egg-broccoli combination, but you get the idea).  

I got something like this at a restaurant a while ago, and recreated what I liked.  This is what I think it should be: light, bright and simple.  It is really flexible, don't stress out if you want to make some changes.  I would bet that you have bigger things to worry about.  

Pasta for Spring
Broccoli (I used a couple of cups)
Carrots (I used a cup or two)
*You can add/substitute any vegetables of your choice (zucchini is good)
Red onion (I used about 1/3, you could substitute white/yellow onion or shallots)
Garlic (I used 2 cloves, sliced)
Pasta (I used 1 cup of dry penne)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan (optional)

Boil your pasta water and cook your pasta.  Meanwhile, chop your veggies into bite sized chunks.  Drain the pasta when it is al dente, put it aside in the bowl that you intend you eat from.  Drizzle a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of the (now empty & dry) pan used for the pasta.  Brown your onions and garlic for a couple of minutes with some salt and pepper, then add the vegetables and cook until they are done to your liking (I like everything a little bit underdone).  Mix in the pasta, put everything back into your bowl, and you are done.   


No comments:

Post a Comment