Monday, April 5, 2010

Hidden Treasures

I have to admit, I have developed an intimate relationship with my grocery store. I think about it all of the time, and I am constantly making excuses to visit it. It makes me greedy, frustrated, overwhelmed, triumphant, sometimes confused, and often inspired. It introduces me to new things. It makes me think.

Today, in an attempt to escape the mental blur of serious-life-decisions, I found myself driving towards my grocery store. A port in the storm. Along with my usual fruits and vegetables, I could not resist bringing home some new friends: fresh fava beans, and fuzzy green almonds. What would I find hidden inside of those green pods? I had to know.
The green almonds are a strange revelation. They can be eaten whole, fuzzy pod and all, and are crisp, bitter, and juicy. I liked peeling the shell, and revealing the luminescent almond within.
Fava beans were equally beautiful. After shucking the beans from their pod-cocoons, they got a quick boil, and then were shocked in some cold water, before undergoing a final skin-shedding, revealing the bright, deep green nuggets within. This process of uncovering and unwrapping was rewarding, building up an appreciation for the finished product, which might have otherwise been overlooked.
Both the green almonds and the fava beans share an indescribable quality, and the act of getting to them is part of their charm. I for one, am glad I took the time to get to know them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren the fuzzy green almonds are a Persian treat that we find in our Persian grocery store this time of year. Is this a Persian grocery...or just into different stuff( the concentration of Iranian people is so high in LA that they jokingly refer to it as Tehrangeles...) ...love Jan

    ReplyDelete