Monday, October 3, 2011

Mystery Monday: The Ubiquitous Hot Dog

My cabinet clean-out has coincided with the seasonal ant invasion, therefore my priorities have been a little different this past week. Hopefully these things will be behind me soon, and I will be able to dive headfirst into the soups, ciders, and spiced baked goods I have been eyeing. But first, the ants must go! Go away ants!

Now, for Mystery Monday! I would like to honor Mrs. Pollifax (and her eponymous series) today: she's a strong and inspiring little old lady who, finding herself desperately bored in her life as a widowed grandmother, finally follows her childhood dream and joins the CIA. Needless to say, she thrives in her newfound work, and quickly becomes an often-underestimated but always essential asset on her numerous missions. Mrs. Pollifax surely would know how to effectively deal with ants, being perhaps the most practical CIA agent the known to the fictional world. As the home-y little old lady she is, I had been toying around with the idea of making a batch of blueberry muffins and tea for her and calling it a day, but then I came across this passage and knew it what I would be making for her:

"She sighed, never enjoying suspense. It held one in thrall, plucking at tired nerves, and she was already tired. She would love to have a warm bath now - how many days had it been? - and then sit down to an America dinner. "Of hot dogs," she heard herself say, and was looked at in surprise by Farrell.

"Hot dogs?" he said. "Are you all right, Duchess?"

She laughed. "Just wistful."

Hot dogs? Yes please. We even had some in the fridge, along with some leftover hamburger buns that we reappropriated. I think that Mrs. Pollifax would have applauded our resourcefulness, and I for one, applauded their tastiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment